Friday, June 25, 2010

The Book

For my Thesis Writing class here at SCAD we were assigned a how-to guide book on writing theses and dissertations. The book for this class, written by R. Murray Thomas and Dale L. Brubaker, is titled Theses and Dissertations: A Guide to Planning, Research, and Writing. Let me tell you, this book is just as exciting as the title sounds. Granted, I knew writing a thesis would not be a particularly exciting process, however, I did hope to find some help and motivation from my required literature. This book reads just like a thesis or dissertation might.

For example: the first two chapters in the book (this weeks assignment) explains in detail (a) the nature and functions of theses and dissertations (b) academic disciplines and the theories behind them (c) how to select committee members and find outside support (d) finding a citing "professional" literature and (e) how to create checklists and plan ahead for the research and writing of your thesis.

I also read ahead into the third chapter. The content of this chapter explains (a) functions of literature reviews (b) efficient ways of searching through literature and (c) errors of judgment.

Need I go on?

Luckily for me, I am taking this class, Writing for New Media. The professor of this class, Beth Concepcion, is also on my thesis committee. This class, and writing this blog will (hopefully) help me stay sane through this process. I also hope Writing for New Media will help me with my research and writing about my thesis topic:

How social media can be used as a tool for advertising and communication for non-profit art organizations.

No comments:

Post a Comment